Sunday, August 10, 2008

YSA Summit and Noah's Big Day!


So this weekend I decided I needed to have an adventure. Parker was at a family reunion so I didn't really have many plans. I decided to go to a YSA Summit at the University of Utah. Friday night I ventured (alone haha) up to see Kalai play. I was determined to force myself out of my comfort zone and make some new friends.
Needless to say, it is scary being ALL alone with a couple hundred strangers. Nevertheless, it was not long until I met Fabio. Fabio is an amazing Brazilian who had the guts to strike up a conversation with me. He was awesome to talk to and introduced me to some of his friends. It was so fun!
Saturday my nephew Noah was baptized by my father. It was a special experience to see a young boy testing out for the first time, his faith in a loving Heavenly Father. Although he is young, I know Noah could tell that being baptized was important and that it would make him feel happy and good. I admire his faith and example. I could not have more love for anyone than I do for my nieces and nephews. I hope that Noah remembers how much God loves him and will support him throughout his life.
After that I was able to go back to the U and take a few classes. I took one on feeling the promptings of the Holy Ghost and another on dealing with the trials of life. It is very nice to feel the spirit in the middle of the day on a saturday. For some of you that may be old hat, but for me that is rare and it was so nice. The Summit is essentially EFY for big kids as I call it. It made me miss my days at EFY, where I not only got to flirt with many cute boys, but where I truly can say that I began to understand my Heavenly Father. It is there that I learned to recognize the Holy Ghost testifying truth to me. It is those first feelings that I have turned to time and time again when I have been filled with doubt in my life.
Saturday night I met up with an old friend from highschool, Milena. She is one amazing girl. Being around her is so comfortable and fun. Together, with some other gals, we went back to the U for a dance/ carnival. We had a blast dancing, playing games and meeting new people. I also got to spend some more time with Fabio and his friend Ken. Amazingly, Milena is also from Brazil so I had fun listening to Fabio and her speak in Portuguese for some time.
I think its so beautiful when people speak in another language. It makes me wonder if I will get to learn another language in the coming weeks. We will find out Wednesday if all works out, because that is when I should get my mission call!! Am I nervous?? Actually, no, not really. I may be when I see that I am speaking Swahili in the jungle.... until then... pure excitement!

No comments: