Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Anniversary 22 Mai

First,

Is it just me or is anyone else freaking out about the fact that http://www.ablogaboutlove.com/ is finally getting to the meeting?! Am I the only person in the world who cannot wait to log into this blog every day just to see what little gem is going to make me think, melt, or just smile? Either way.This makes me happy.

But you know what makes me even more happy?

22 Mai.... that is May 22 for those of you not-so-German people out there.

May 22 is my Frenemy. It is the day that I left Germany after 19 life-changing months there. I am just as homesick today as the day I watched Germany fade from my view. I pressed my face against the glass of that airplane and watched until I literally could see nothing but clouds below me. I never wanted to lose sight of a place that had become so precious to me. More than any sadness in that moment, however, all I felt was gratitude. Gratitude for the experiences lived, the people I met and the ways in which I changed while I called Deutschland home.

I am still so grateful. In honor of 22 Mai, here are a few gems from my time in the Vaterland.

District 19 A "Teach the a pro, speak like a Deutschmeister!"

Some building...somewhere

Patrick. The only person who got my humor over there. Loved teaching him.

So much yummy food. Here: Berliner.

Sister Poeblenz. The sweetest member I know. And my amazing Trainer, Erin Buynak

The Elbe.

My first day in Germany 17 December 2008

I rang a crazy amount of these babies.

For sure one of my top 10 happiest moments ever. JOY.

Falling in love with rain

Hamburg main station. I call it Harry Potter.

Best district ever. We served and we were happy. Together. Jon Fenton, Zach Turvey and Maggie Jensen.

Maggie Jensen and I in Hamburg

This one just makes me laugh. Gorgeous Hamburg. The Icecream was also to die for.
I am rockin out. This is how I felt about my mission.


This district changed the world. I didnt really touch Cade Liston. Relax.

Hamburg, Germany. I miss you. Thank you for everything.



So there you a have it. A tiny taste of the moments that meant the most to me. I am forever changed, and I hope that I am better because of the lessons learned as I did my best to serve and love people in Germany. Of everything I have done so far, these experiences have meant the most to me.

Life has not always turned out as I planned, but for 19 brief months, I was exactly where I felt I should be, doing exactly as God and my heart felt I should be doing.

It was not always perfect, in fact, sometimes it was downright hard, but at the end of every day, the only things I could record in my journal were the miracles and the only feelings I have left in my heart are the feelings of peace, gratitude and joy. I look back with no regrets. And I will be back.

1 comment:

Mara Kofoed said...

Soooo sweet to find this!!
Thank you dear. You made us smile big. xoxo