Monday, October 22, 2012

Anniversary 4: Lessons learned

I love October 22. It is one of 3 days in the year that I am consciously very, very grateful. It is the day that I went on my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. That day was the start of my true adulthood and gateway to some of the greatest joys of my life. October 22 will always be a gift. So today, like so many October 22nds before, I am filled with gratitude.


Today I have pondered the question: What did my mission teach me that I still benefit from today?

  • I have a relationship with a Heavenly Father who knows and cares about me personally
  • I have the ability to communicate with heaven through sweet and powerful feelings in my heart, and clear, but gentle thoughts to my mind
  • I developed a sense of purpose and identity the drives me to do more and become better as a friend, a daughter, a student, an employee, a sister and member of society
  •  I can have and maintain friendships that have lasted decades, and the ability to add new relationships and add depth and richness to my life
  • Family, that supports me no matter where I go in the world and knowledge that we can be together forever. I find peace knowing that our relationship will last beyond death.
  • I appreciate parents that taught me to be a contributing and possitive force in the world, to chase my dreams, to be educated, self-sufficient and respectful. 
  • The ability to love and be loved in return
  • I strive to see others as God sees them. To develop love for those who do not deserve it, by seeking to first understand them, and not to be personally understood. 
  • I have developed more patience to withstand challenges and use weakness as grounds to improve
  • I have the gift of passion that drives me to work hard, to improve current skills, to never stop learning
  •  To seek work that keeps me curious, allows me to grow and to make an impact in the world
  • Technology that makes home not so far away
  • The ability to make choices; to choose my attitude in trial, my standards when the world disagrees, to choose between standing tall or giving up
  • To do hard things 
  • To appreciate the process
  • To follow my feelings and although they may lead to an end I do not understand, trust that they will never lead me wrong
  • To find a husband as genuine, humble, loving and funny as President Thompson
  • To strive for a marriage that is truly a companionship, loving, supportive and founded on sacrifice for the other like my president and his wife.
  • For life, that has been unpredictable, challenging at times, but more fun than I ever imagined.
Until later, this is just another case of Word Vomit

No comments: