Saturday, January 26, 2008

Epiphany

I pretty much lead a lame life, that is what I have decided. If I a life worth talking about, a blog might be a good thing to have. I am also discovering that this thing I have been calling writers block for the past six months is actually called no writing ability. This new information has come as somewhat of a blow to me since the only thing I feel I somewhat enjoy or excel at is indeed writing.
I am starting to think that my story reservoir is drying up, my imagination is wilting and it is time to get a new dream. This is a moment my fiction lecturer would call a moment of "epiphany," where the character (me) has a sudden enlightenment and with it an inevitable and somewhat painful loss of innocence.
The more I dabble in this journalism business, the more I think perhaps it is a road I can and should pursue. I really cant imagine a more fun job then a human interest writer for newspaper of magazine. Perhaps my imagination is ungifted, but my ability to form ascetically pleasing sentences is not. I wouldn't mind spending my time traveling and testing out accommodations from a travel magazine or writing reviews on food, ski resorts, or bed and breakfast joints.
That is the beauty and sometimes torture of college. You come with some idea of what you want to do, like me, to be a writer and then you realize that its way harder than you thought. Or sometimes it is way too boring or nothing like you planned. So you change plans. I guess that's all this college business is, learning to deal with and accept change. Never liked change, but maybe it will help me get a good job. I might change my opinion, who knows.

No comments: